SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two B110B drivers deteriorating at same time...audio source?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old one you have, has a separate magnet centre pole and backplate These have been staked together. It's the staking you can see at the back. All later speakers used a one piece forged pole/backplate. These were cheaper and has less magnetic loss. The back is plain except for the dimple.

I didn't remember that Meridian had un-labelled units though. Maybe the previous owner "cleaned them up".
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meridian had un-labelled units though

As a M2 owner I would have expected to see at least the serial numbers on the back and some evidence of the KEF label around the magnet (I played with the image brightness), is there any supporting documentation?

So tread with care, they may or not be SP1057s as the last B110s came out as KEF as that, unidentified and unlabelled.

I've got a pair and I've no idea whether they're SP1057s or SP1003s Confused .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like plain common SP1057 drivers for KEF loudspeakers. The constructor series have a "Constructor Series" adhesive around the magnet.

How do your drivers look like?

Colin, I think the "tell" between SP1003 and SP1057 is the dust cup. On the 1003s it's "rugged" and hard. On the 1057 (one and only one pair I've seen) it's softer, smoother and more "elegant".
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the mounting holes look butchered as well.
I have not seen a Dalesford unit for a heck of a long time, any chance it could be a Dalesford driver?
lt2525
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
These look like plain common SP1057 drivers for KEF loudspeakers. The constructor series have a "Constructor Series" adhesive around the magnet.

How do your drivers look like?

Colin, I think the "tell" between SP1003 and SP1057 is the dust cup. On the 1003s it's "rugged" and hard. On the 1057 (one and only one pair I've seen) it's softer, smoother and more "elegant".

Here is what mine look like. Due to the damage it will be hard to compare Sad

[/img]
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the Dalesford 110 here: http://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneyspeakers/friedbiispeakers

The job lot I bought in Cheltenham had no labels on gthe rear magnets, that was years after W.A.R. loudspekers went bust...
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:

No. The dust caps are the same on SP1003 and SP1057. The only difference is in the voice coil. The SP1003 has a nomex former and self-bonding wire. The SP1057 has an aluminium former and high temperature wire, wet-wound with high temperature epoxy. The SP1057 has a lower mechanical Q from the induced current losses in the former. You can measure this.

Later SP1057s had the mounting holes drilled out to accept soft grommet anti-vibration mounts. Later still, the holes were punched instead of being drilled.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is what mine look like. Due to the damage it will be hard to compare

I had some SP1003s that looked like that, do they still work?

If they do it's a couple of new dustcaps and a bit of PVA glue with a slight detour to a jewellers if you cannot get your paws on a two pan balance.

Old dust cap plus container = new dust cap plus container and PVA.

Gluing should be performed upsidedown using a roof beam or metal "workmate" so the glue ends up on the floor not in the voice coil.

My "unmarkerd" B110s are probably SP1057s having fed them with a small audio signal which caused a "real" SP1057 to make a small noise but not a squeak out of a "control" SP1003 Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
RGBE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP 1003 has a perfectly round surround, while the SP 1057 surround is round but somewhat flat. At least in the ones I have.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGBE wrote:
The SP 1003 has a perfectly round surround, while the SP 1057 surround is round but somewhat flat. At least in the ones I have.

Of course. Stupid of me to forget the obvious Rolling Eyes . The SP1003 had a moulded rubber semicircular section surround. The SP1057 has a vacuum formed Velbex compound curve surround.
lt2525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers have arrived. They are labelled and definitely say KEF B110 SP1057, consecutive serial #'s.
Very Happy

There is a bit of a difference in the configuration of the magnet. The part where it couples to the basket is a sort of irregular octagon. While on the older units this is basically circular. As mentioned by a poster earlier, I put this down to simple evolution of manufacturing.

speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lt2525 wrote:
The part where it couples to the basket is a sort of irregular octagon. While on the older units this is basically circular. As mentioned by a poster earlier, I put this down to simple evolution of manufacturing.

Evolution is right. The cropped circle saves quite a bit of steel and so is cheaper. It also reduces the magnetic leakage on the outside of the ring so the change in gap flux is barely measurable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: