SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Main+Bass speakers for '73 Kef Cadenza

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drmiller
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Replacement Main+Bass speakers for '73 Kef Cadenza Reply with quote

Hi,

My Dad has a pair of 1973 Kef Cadenza speakers. The main and bass speakers need replacing and my Dad is threatening to get rid of them, which I think would be a real shame.

Front (image)
Label 1 (image)
Label 2 (image)

I would be really grateful if anyone could recommend a suitable replacement make and model for the main and base speakers, and also any online shops that sell them.

I have tried looking in the previous posts, but I just can’t find anything.

Even if you see this post way after it was posted, please still reply because I will keep checking until I get a response.

Thanks in advance,

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the n the UK ask Boultons of Norwich or Wembley Loudspeakers about rebuilds.

The bass unit is a SP1022 and the ABR can be substituted with either an SP 1042 and some silicone sealant to fill in the gaps or a "blown" wide skirted A6171 bass unit with the magnet removed.

You could always come to the Tonbridge Audiojumble tomorrow and see what is available and network a bit Smile .

Url's

www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/

www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/

www.audiojumble.co.uk/

If you don't live in the UK ie Europe, Japan or USA you should be able to find a competent speaker rebuilder/reconer with some effort.

For other parts of the World ie Australia, South Africa, forget it as you won't be able to source the straight bits!

So it's shopping on ePrey Crying or Very sad .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: No longer made Reply with quote

David

You won't be able to buy replacement units new. eBay is one possibility for purchasing direct replacements. Also view this link.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Main+Bass speakers for '73 Kef Cadenza Reply with quote

drmiller wrote:
The main and bass speakers need replacing

You haven't said what's wrong with the units. Are the woofers rubbing? Have you tried turning them 180 deg to see if that fixes it? There's hadly anything in the passive radiator to go wrong. You can re-stick anything that's peeling with no fear of a coil rub because there isn't any!
drmiller
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice.

My Dad has confirmed that all the powered units are OK. The fault is only with the passive (ABR) units - as can be seen from these images:

Passive (ABR) front
Passive (ABR) rear

It seems that these are the earlier B139's (type 6171?) which are 330mm x 240mm. We followed up some of your advice, but no one has replacement foam /rubber seals for these. Some contacts have offered to make special seals by cutting up other types & joining them, so that is a possibility.

However, there are some later B139's around which use a different material and seem to be in much better condition. These are 300 x 210mm, but the enclosures could be modified, so we may follow up this route.

Thanks once again for your help and speedy responses. If you have any further advice or comments we would be pleased to hear from you.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still obtain such drivers on ebay and you could also reattach the rubber surround on the existing ones.

A possible source for rubber surrounds might be http://www.goodhifi.com/

I have bought B110 surrounds from them (excellent quality and fit BTW) and IIRC, they have quite a few different types, including racetrack versions.

It's worth to send these guys an email
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seem foam surrounds rot away but never seen rubber in that bad a state!

If you do manage to get replacement racetrack shape rubber surrounds and you have a choice of material, make sure you go for the most flexible, most compliant one. The free air resonance of the passive radiator should be around 12 - 15 Hz. If the free air resonance is too high you will get a null in the bass response within the audio band.

You can observe the resonance by placing the PR about 10-15 mm above a woofer (out of the box) using suitable spacers. Connect up the woofer to a sine wave generator and power amplifier. If you then sweep though 10 to 30Hz you will see a maximum movement in the PR at its resonance frequency.
drmiller
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad has bought some ABR SP1042's on eBay - these are the smaller 300 x 210mm units, but they fit.

Thanks to you all for your help. My Dad is very grateful also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: